Thursday, October 22, 2020

Gus on the prowl

 So this summer Chad and I bought a house in Kansas.  Our plan was to invest money in rental properties so we can have a hope of retiring someday.  The house was great, sound, but it hadn't been loved in a long time and it needed a lot of work.  Since I'm free in the summer, it was decided I would do or supervise the work.  I didn't want to leave the cats alone, but I didn't think I could handle both since the travel was long.  Georgy isn't a cat that has a lot of patience.  She's still a kitten, she's wild and I didn't think she could be confined under an airplane seat with her brother for very long.  

Gus on Daddy's desk before his big adventure


The trip is a 45 minute plane ride from Barrow to Anchorage.  Then a 3-4 hour trip from Anchorage to Seattle, then another 3-4 hour trip from Seattle to Kansas City.  From Kansas City its a 2 hour car ride to Franklin, KS.  All of this plus layovers and other stops.  It takes a very patient cat.  Ragdolls are known for their laid back personalities, and Gus, although young, is very accepting of most things I do with him. 

The first leg was easy, it wasn't that long, and he just chilled.  While I was in the airports during layovers, I put his harness on him and let him out of his carrier to wander.  I packed a traveling litter box.  Basically, a low rectangular rubbermaid with litter that fit in my backpack.  If the airport had a pet area, I took it there and put him on his leash.  If I wasn't by one, I just went into the handicapped stall and did it there.  He didn't go while we traveled.  I'm sure he was too stressed.  

Gus in his carrier with leash


During the 2 longer flights, he got a little agitated.  He likes to sit up sometimes, and he can't under the airplane seats.  I dragged his carrier out so he wasn't under the seat during flight times.  I put his carrier on my lap a couple of times, and stuck my hand in to pet him if he started to meow.  Mostly his meows are quiet, so not a problem for other travelers.  I did let him poke his head out once or twice to look around.  He really did travel well.  

Gus under seat

Gus getting pets on plane


When we got to KC, we stopped to visit with Chad's sister (she picked us up) and to get Chad's truck which is at his sister's house.  When we left, I just let him loose.  I've traveled like that before with other cats.  Well, I shouldn't have done that.  He wedged himself in the back corner so far, I couldn't get him out.  In fact, I don't think he could get himself out.  I had to hurt him a little to pull him out, and I felt awful!  

We had to stay in a hotel for a week, because the house didn't have water or a working bathroom, and it was unbelievably filthy. At first, all the hotel noise bothered Gus and he was afraid, but he got over it fast, and loved being alone with me!  He was a snuggly beast!  It took forever to clean up all the long white hair when it was time to leave!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Gus on the prowl

 So this summer Chad and I bought a house in Kansas.  Our plan was to invest money in rental properties so we can have a hope of retiring so...