Saturday, February 23, 2019

The evil vet

Vet clinic in the summer. http://www.north-slope.org/departments/health-social-services/community-health-services/public-health-office-veterinary-clinic
So, Gus was a mess when I picked him up.  If you read the earlier blogs, you will know that he never had shots, he had ear mites and a drippy, wonky eye when I brought him home.  We flew in on Saturday night, and I had an appointment for him Monday after work.

He had a day and a half to adjust to his new home.  Then I ran in the door after abandoning him for a whole nine hours, grabbed him, shoved him in a hard plastic box, took him out in the -20 degree weather, and gave him to the evil vet.

My vet isn't evil. In fact the entire staff are unbelievably sweet and caring.  I had to take Raz in once a week for six months to get treatment for his kidneys, and then twice a week for the last month of his life.  So, I'm pretty familiar with their staff.  Gus was not.

The vet had to examine him. Then she gave him a big shot and stuffed some liquid up his nostrils.  Next, she had to poke his eye and prod at it, and then put glow in the dark drops in it.  Lastly, she squirted crap in his ears and swabbed it up several times--deep.  He felt thoroughly, and rightly so, violated.  I took him home and he was a little unhappy with us for a minute, but then got over it--thankfully.

Then I did it to him again the next Tuesday.  I stuffed him in the box early this time because I had to drop him off and leave him all day.  It was a big day. I was getting him snipped.  I tried not to let him know, but again, he didn't hold a grudge.

He was fully awake when I picked him up if a little goofy.  He kept falling off of things he jumped up on.  The vet said, "I love Gus, he is so sweet." Sure enough the little devil charmed the vet and decided he didn't mind them. Even after they committed the ultimate act of violation.  Go figure.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Gus on the prowl

 So this summer Chad and I bought a house in Kansas.  Our plan was to invest money in rental properties so we can have a hope of retiring so...