Friday, March 15, 2019

Tree cat


I decided to get Gus a tree.  When I first got him, I didn’t know if he’d like one.  I have discovered over the years, that there are two main kinds of kitties.  The cave kitty, who likes to hide inside of things and attack from there, and the tree kitty, who likes to observe from on high and then attack.

I had three cats together before Gus.  I’ve talked about Jinx and Raz (since they died a week apart from each other), but I haven’t mentioned our kitty who died before we moved to the arctic.  Princess was a year older than Jinx, so she was around 15 when she died of diabetes. Anyway, she and Jinx were cave cats.  They never found a hole they wouldn’t climb into.  Whereas Raz was a tree cat and loved being up on dressers, cabinets, windows, etc. 

I had read that ragdolls tend to be cave dwellers, so I decided to wait to get a tree to see what he liked first.  The first week I had Gus, he appeared to like caves.  He hid behind my ginormous sectional couch, he hid under the bed, etc.  So, I ordered him a cat cave. You know, those boiled wool things.  
https://www.etsy.com/listing/249881276/cat-cave-cat-bed-house-furniture-vessel?
      ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_
search_query=cat+cave&ref=sr_gallery-1-7&cns=1




















Once he was comfortable with the house, and us (plus all the barking dogs, people banging around outside the door, and people opening and closing the heavy main door to the building), Gus started hanging out in our windows (we live on the second story, so he could view all the action in the street).  He gets on the back of the couch and runs around, he gets on the counter, etc.  So, I decided to get him a tree. 

Last time I was at Petco in Anchorage, I looked at the cat trees.  I knew I’d have to get something smallish, since we have a tiny apartment and I’d have to bring it on an airplane, or order and have it shipped.  I found one that was about waist high with a couple of shelves, and best of all it came in a box, so it would be easy to transport.  I didn’t get it that time because I had to much stuff to haul back, but I mentally marked it so I could pick it up the next time. 

I told my niece I was getting Gus a tree.  She told me not to she had already ordered him one! I was grateful, although I told her she shouldn’t have done that. 

Well it came on Tuesday.  They called me and told me to come get it, but I couldn’t since I didn’t have a vehicle, and I had parent teacher conferences at work for 2 days.  Needless to say I didn’t get it until last night.  Here it is.  A monstrosity.  It’s 7 feet tall.  It takes up a lot of space.  However, I’m grateful to my niece, and Gus loves it!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Gus on the prowl

 So this summer Chad and I bought a house in Kansas.  Our plan was to invest money in rental properties so we can have a hope of retiring so...