Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Movie review--The Man Who Killed Hitler and then the Bigfoot


When I got back from Anchorage, after the Iditarod, my husband tells me, "You have to watch this movie!"

"OK? What movie?"
"It's got a weird title, but you'll love it!"
"Sure, but I want to watch my TV shows."
"Watch this first. You'll love it, Sam Elliot is the star."

He had me at Sam Elliot.  So we watched, the oddest movie with the oddest title ever.
I kid you not.

I really didn't know what to anticipate with a movie with that sort of title. I, of course, anticipated the killing of Hitler and Bigfoot, but didn't know if it would be a comedy, a drama, or a cult monster flick, I had zero frame of reference.

It starts with the song, Lonely is the Night. Then focuses on Sam Elliot alone at a bar, nursing a whiskey.  That sets the tone for the whole story. In fact, the whole tale is a study on loneliness, and Sam Elliot's quiet reflection of his life is the perfect vehicle for it.

Don't get me wrong, it has some problems.  It is very low budget.  It has a few holes that are never filled except by your own guessing. The Bigfoot is a terrible, freaky, weird looking thing. Also, it supposes that there was just one Bigfoot.  In the world.

However, the movie is oddly compelling, it sucks you in. Aiden Turner (Ross Poldark) is the hunk playing younger Sam Elliot's character, and the raw emotion by both actors makes it well worth the watching.  (Plus, it was fun watching Sam kick three stupid gang bangers' asses while hardly breaking a sweat).

The grief of Elliot's character is palpable.  He never believed he had done anything deserving in his life.  He didn't get the girl, killing Hitler had zero effect on the world, and he didn't think of himself a hero--only a killer with no worth. Added to that, he was aging and lonely.  He contemplates suicide every day, and if not for his dog, would probably go through with it.  He struggles with having to put down the three gangsters who beat and attempted to rob him, because he doesn't want to be a killer or a monster. He is devastated when he has to kill the one Bigfoot--in the world.

I loved it.  I usually like lighthearted comedies, toilet humor, and romcoms.  I also like action and sci-fi.  Why?  Because I want to be entertained. I don't want my entertainment time to be dark and depressing.  I can watch the news for that.  This atmospheric movie, full of angst and human regret; however, was a real gem that I thoroughly enjoyed. 

And Gus?  He enjoys crawling in my lap when I'm holding still for a love and a thorough brushing.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Gus on the prowl

 So this summer Chad and I bought a house in Kansas.  Our plan was to invest money in rental properties so we can have a hope of retiring so...